Skip to main content

What I've Gained from EDTS 325 - A Reflection

    Technology has been a pig part of my life. Whether it be school, work, or personal means, technology has incorporated itself into it. Throughout EDTS 325, I have learnt many things about technology that I can use within my classroom.
    Coming into this class, I didn't really know how much I was going to learn. I already felt very comfortable with technology, and didn't think there was a lot more I could learn when it came to using it in the classroom. I was already familiar with Google and a bunch of its apps, having used them throughout middle and high school, and I didn't really know how much more complicated or in depth it could get. But wow, was I wrong! I learnt so much through this class, that I know I can use in my future classroom! I learnt a lot about how important technology can be in the classroom, and how you can make it have a strong purpose. I found out so many tools that can be both fun for the students, but hit lots of important outcomes. One that especially sticks out for this statement is Google Arts and Culture. There is so many fun games and experiences within the program, but it can connect so well to outcomes regarding analyzing and interpreting art, and incorporating culture. It would be a good tool to meet TQS Standard 5. With this program and others that were introduced to me through this course, I found it very easy to incorporate learning objectives with the tools!
    I had fun developing a "Professional Learning Network," and I think it will come in hand when I need new ideas, as it gives me a resource that is fuelled by other teachers like me. It can expand on my lifelong learning, and help me out when I'm stumped and need advice. I also enjoyed creating the "Digital Learning Plan." It was cool how accessible and easy-to-use you can make a lesson to be when using Google Slides. It was also very handy having 3 lessons in one place! I learnt a lot about designing digital lessons, and making sure to differentiate for all of the students needs, along with making it lots of fun.
    One thing I also learnt a lot about was making sure to follow FOIP guidelines when it comes to using images. Crediting images was something I never really thought about before this class, as I just believed since it was on Google and I could copy it, then it was free and okay for me to use. But now I understand that isn't always the case, and you should always credit images that you find from the internet. I learnt that it is really easy to do so, as it just takes typing a few words and you have credited the original creator. I will definitely keep image credit in mind whenever I use images now.
    I feel very prepared to implement technology into my future classroom. On my own, I already felt very comfortable with technology, and would say I am very knowledgeable. After this class, I have gained several ideas and ways that technology can be incorporated into my classroom. I have went out of my comfort zone when it comes to technology, and have learnt how to use apps that I have never heard of before! I am able to connect technology to learning outcomes easily, and use it in various ways in lessons. Overall, I am confident in my ability to provide lessons to my students that make use of the amazing technology that is out there, and enhance their learning and engagement by using fun tech apps and platforms.
Image credit: Adobe Stock.


    Even though I've added to my knowledge of technology through this course, and have found out so many amazing ways that it can be incorporated into the classroom, it does have me thinking about the cons of technology, and potentially the dangers. One of the big things is bullying. I know well how prominent bullying is on social media, and it has just progressed more as the years go by, and the technology can advance. People find better ways to hide themselves online, and prey on individuals that are vulnerable. The last thing I would want would be my students being harmed by their own classmates, or others online. I do really want to incorporate technology in my classroom, but I want my first priority to be making sure my students are safe, and there is no bullying going on. Because if students are experiencing bullying, they aren't going to have fun or learn anything, and that defeats the purpose of technology. Going forward, I just want to always be aware of that and make it a priority. There is ways we can educate our students about bullying and technology, and I think that should be the priority of every teacher! Further reading can be done here about teaching students to be aware of e-bullying.
    Overall, I have learnt a lot about technology through EDTS 325. I have gained so much confidence in my ability to properly and effectively implement technology into my classroom. I can efficiently create digital learning plans that properly use technology to link the course outcomes, differentiate with technology, along with developing a professional learning network and an eResume to effectively and professionally find new teaching ideas, communicating with other teachers, and showcasing my best qualities to educators. I am so thankful for the things I have learnt in EDTS 325, and I know they will help make me the best teacher I can be for all of my students!
Image credit: ViewSonic.


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Tools for the Classroom - the Best Invention!

    Google is something I have used for a huge chunk of my life, both in a personal and school context. I would say I am very familiar with google, though I wouldn't say I am an expert. I am pretty advanced with technology and how to run Google, but prior to this lesson, there was a lot of Google apps that I had no idea existed. I already knew about Google Maps, as I use that tool pretty often. It is one of my favourites, because it is so easy to use and informative. It not only can show you directions and distances, but you can also go to locations and it will give you a blurb telling about the place, and showing photos. It combines Google Search, Maps, and Images into one, which I think is really useful in the classroom so students don't have to have several pages open just to find information about one place. It is very easy to use, and informative. It also can be a way for students to learn about other countries and cultures throughout the world, as they can observe differe

Teachers and Blogging: A Great Pair

EDTS 325 Blogging is something that I would have never connected to teachers. Teachers and blogging seems like a good mix, however. It would be a good way to find teacher resources along with teacher advice from people all over the world. It could be like a PD session from the comfort of your own home.  After reading several articles about blogging as a teacher, my knowledge was expanded to include many other ways blogging can be a useful tool for this profession. One of the things that stood out to me the most was that the reason many teachers don't blog is because they don't want to give up their privacy. In his article 4 Reasons People Don't Blog and Ideas to Help Change Their Mind , George Couros stated that blogging doesn't mean you have to give up all of your privacy. This was definitely an "ah ha" moment for me. When I think of blogging, I think of sharing your thoughts, but that doesn't mean sharing personal things, it just means sharing your opini